Wireless Anywhere 3G Internet (Dongle or Router)
This is a network you can use away from home via a laptop. It provides a private Internet connection via mobile phone towers and will get you online wherever a mobile signal is available from your chosen mobile carrier. (NextG has the best coverage for travellers).
- You get a more secure Internet access and it’s available whenever you want
- You can purchase Prepaid or Post Paid plans and you pay for what you use (up to 300mb per month)
- If you get a 3G Router you can share the connection with anyone with a wireless device.
- You need your own laptop and you have to buy hardware (that is, the dongle that goes into your laptop’s USB port)
- It’s expensive for one-off usage so you’ll need to commit to a plan; and
- The Internet signal can be flaky, unreliable and sometimes slow.
To learn more, check out these articles that review the most popular options to get online when traveling.
- Internet on the Road – Part 1: Search for important information and stay in–touch with family, friends or work
- Internet on the Road – Part 3: WiFi Hotspots are good value when you’re in town
- Internet on the Road – Part 4: Apple iPad is great for travellers
- Internet on the Road – Part 5: Smartphones are cleverer than ever
- Internet on the Road – Part 6: Internet Cafes provide low cost access when you’re near populations
- Internet on the Road – Part 7: Satellite access is for the serious outback traveller